Recently Union Home Minister launched ‘Prahari’ app for Border Security Force (BSF) Jawans.
About the app –
- BSF ‘Prahari’ app is a great example of Proactive Governance, now Jawans can get personal and service related information, housing, Ayushman-CAPF and leave related information on their mobile.
- Other features of the app include —
- Availability of Bio Data
- Grievance redressal on “Centralised Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System” (CP-GRAMS)
- information on various welfare schemes.
- The app will also connect the Jawans with the portal of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
About Border Security Force –
- The BSF is the world’s largest border guarding force securing the 6,386.36 kms long International Borders with Pakistan and Bangladesh.
- Its mandate is to guard the country’s land border during peacetime and also to prevent transnational crime.
- BSF was established as a response to the 1965 war with Pakistan when that country tried to expand its own borders at India’s expense.
- Until that time, the border with Pakistan was guarded by the State Armed Police Battalion. It proved inadequate when faced with Pakistani aggression and this was when the necessity of a specialised armed force for manning India’s borders was realised.
- The Committee of Secretaries recommended that the Border Security Force be established and it came into force on 1 December 1965. The BSF is under the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of India.
- Currently there are about 186 battalions and strength of more than 2 lakh personnel. It also has an air wing, marine wing, commando units and artillery regiments.