While replying to a question in the Parliament, the Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment has told that as the youth, owing to their educational backwardness, are finding it difficulties to obtain employment with good compensation after undergoing short-term skilling courses, the importance of PM-DAKSH scheme cannot be ignored.
What is PM-DAKSH?
- The Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Yojana is being implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment from the year 2020-21.
- It is a National Action Plan for the marginalised persons of SC, OBC, EBC, DNT, Sanitation workers including waste pickers, manual scavengers, transgenders and other similar categories.
- ’Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi’ (DAKSH) Yojana is proposed to be put in place with a multi-pronged strategy to improve the all-round competency and adeptness of 10 lakh persons of these categories over the next four years, beginning with nearly 1.5 lakh youth in the first year i.e. 2020-21.
- Under this Yojana, eligible target group are being provided skill development training programmes on –
- Short Term Training Programme,
- Long Term Training Programme and
- Entrepreneurship Development Program (EDP).
- These training programs are being implemented through Government Training Institutes, Sector Skill Councils constituted by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and other credible institutions.