According to a recent report, DRDO-L&T developed Zorawar Light Tank that is under fabrication and will be “rolled out” soon.
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) of the Defence Ministry recently accorded the approval for Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) for purchasing 354 of these tanks through Make in India
About Light Tank Zorawar –
- It is an indigenously designed and developed Light Tank.
- Developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in collaboration with Larsen & Toubro Limited.
- Features —
- It is designed to operate in varying terrain from high altitude areas and marginal terrains to island territories.
- It will be highly transportable for rapid deployment to meet any operational situation.
- It will be equipped with all the modern technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Drone Integration, a high degree of situational awareness, and amphibious operation capability.
- It will weigh less than 25 tonnes with a high power-to-weight ratio as well as superior firepower and protection.
Who was Zorawar?
- He was a military general — Zorawar Singh Kahluria, and had served under Jammu’s Raja Gulab Singh in the 19th Century.
- He is honoured for his conquests in the Himalayas including Ladakh, Tibet, Baltistan and Skardu.