Scientists recently found that checking sand mining in Dongting lake in China can help the rebounding of the population of the Yangtze finless porpoise.
- Previous reports had shown the porpoise were pushed out of certain stretches of their habitat due to sand mining.
- The Chinese government announced a crackdown on illegal sand mining along the entire length of the river Yangtze.
About Yangtze finless porpoise –
- The Yangtze River, the longest river in Asia is home to these porpoises.
- Yangtze finless porpoise is known for its mischievous smile and has a level of intelligence comparable to that of a gorilla.
- These are very small compared to whales and slow-moving inhabitants.
- These are good indicators of the health of their environment.
- Conservation status — IUCN Red List: Critically Endangered