Global Wind Day or World Wind Day is a worldwide event that occurs annually on 15th of June.
What is it?
- It is organised by WindEurope and GWEC (Global Wind Energy Council).
- It is a day for discovering wind energy, its power and the possibilities it holds to reshape our energy systems, decarbonise our economies and boost jobs and growth.
Wind energy in India –
- India currently has the fourth-highest wind installed capacity in the world with total installed capacity of 39.25 Giga Watt as on 31st March 2021 and has generated around 60.149 Billion Units during 2020-21.
- The government is promoting wind power projects by providing various fiscal and financial incentives such as Accelerated Depreciation benefit and concessional custom duty exemption on certain components of wind electric generators.
- It also provides technical support including wind resource assessment and identification of potential sites through the National Institute of Wind Energy, Chennai.