World Population Day is observed on the 11th of July every year. The objective of the day is to increase the awareness of the people towards the worldwide population issues.
- World Population Day, which seeks to focus attention on the urgency and importance of population issues, was established by the then-Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in 1989.
- By a resolution in December 1990, the United Nations General Assembly decided to continue observing World Population Day enhance awareness of population issues, including their relations to the environment and development.
- The Day was first marked on 11th July 1990 in more than 90 countries.
- In 2011, the world reached a population of 7 billion. This year, the number will hit 8 billion.
- The theme for World Population Day 2022 is ‘A world of 8 billion: Towards a resilient future for all – Harnessing opportunities and ensuring rights and choices for all’.