The United Nations observes the first Monday of October as World Habitat Day.
What is it?
- This year, World Habitat Day will be observed on October 3.
- Theme: “Mind the Gap. Leave No One and Place Behind”.
- It seeks to draw attention to the growing inequalities and vulnerabilities in cities and human settlements that have been exacerbated by the triple ‘C’ crises — COVID-19, climate and conflict.
- The day came into existence with a resolution by the UN General Assembly in 1985.
- World Habitat Day was first celebrated in 1986 in Nairobi, Kenya, with the theme ‘Shelter is my right’.