Argentina won its third World Cup title by beating France 4-2 in a penalty shootout.
- The Football World Cup is an international soccer tournament held every four years to determine the best national soccer team in the world.
- The first official World Cup was played in Uruguay 1930.
- The tournament is the first to be held in the Arab world and only the second to take place in Asia, after Japan and South Korea joint-hosted the event in 2002.
- This edition will be the last to feature just 32 teams, with the tournament being expanded from 2026 inwards in order to feature 48 nations.
- 2026 World cup edition will be hosted by 16 cities in three North American countries: Canada, Mexico and the United States.
- The winner of the FIFA World Cup 2022 will take home $42 million, which is Rs 3.47 billion in prize money. The runner-up is likely to get $30 million, which is Rs 2.48 billion.