Visva-Bharati University will soon get the ‘heritage’ tag from UNESCO to take the distinction of world’s first living heritage university.
About the ‘Visva Bharati University’ –
- It is one of India’s major Central Government funded autonomous university located in Santiniketan, West Bengal.
- It is well-known as a distinguished centre for Visual Art practice and research in India.
- The university was established in 1921 by Nobel Prize Laureate, Rabindranath Tagore.
- It was named after Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore until Visva-Bharati Society was registered as an organisation in May 1922.
- The institution was given the status of Central University in 1951 through a central Act.
- Its first vice-chancellor was Rathindranath Tagore, the son of Rabindranath Tagore, and the second vice-chancellor was grandfather of another Nobel Laureate economist Amartya Sen.
- The President of India appoints the Vice-chancellor of the University.
- Visva Bharati University is renowned for its cultural festivals called Poush Mela and the Basanta Utsab which attracts a number of artisans from all across the country.