Recently the 21st Edition of the Bilateral Naval Exercise Varuna-2023 commenced on the Western Seaboard.
About the VARUNA Exercise –
- It is the Bilateral Naval Exercise between India and France.
- This bilateral exercise between the two navies was initiated in 1993.
- It was named ‘VARUNA’ in 2001 and has become a hallmark of India-France strategic bilateral relationship.
- This edition will witness the participation of indigenous guided missile stealth destroyer INS Chennai, guided missile frigate INS Teg, maritime patrol aircraft P-8I and Dornier, integral helicopters and MiG29K fighter aircraft.
- The French Navy will be represented by the aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle, frigates FS Forbin and Provence, support vessel FS Marne and maritime patrol aircraft Atlantique.
- The exercise will be conducted over five days from 16th to 20th January 2023 and will witness advanced air defence exercises, tactical manoeuvres, surface firings, underway replenishment and other maritime operations.
- Units of both navies will endeavour to hone their war-fighting skills in maritime theatre, enhance their inter-operability to undertake multi-discipline operations in the maritime domain and demonstrate their ability as an integrated force to promote peace, security and stability in the region.