Recently, the Bihar state government has decided to increase rhino-bearing areas in Valmiki Tiger Reserve (VTR) in the West Champaran district by five per cent in the next two years.
About the Valmiki Tiger Reserve –
- Valmiki Tiger Reserve forms the easternmost limit of the Himalayan Terai forests in India.
- It is the only tiger reserve of Bihar which is situated in the Gangetic Plains bio-geographic zone of the country.
- The forest of this region has a combination of bhabar and terai tracts.
- Rivers Gandak (west of VTR), Pandai, Manor, Harha, Masan and Bhapsa flow through various parts of the reserve.
- Flora — The vegetation types include mainly Moist mixed deciduous, Open-land vegetation, Sub-mountainous semi-evergreen formation, Freshwater swamps, Riparian fringes, Alluvial grasslands, high hill savannah and Wetlands.