According to Government data, retail and wholesale traders are topping the table of top 10 segments or sub-sectors in the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector based on the number of registrations on the Udyam portal.
About the Udyam Portal –
- It is the only Government Portal for the registration of MSMEs.
- It was launched by Union MSME Ministry in 2020.
- It provides free-of-cost and paperless MSME registration.
Who is eligible for MSME registration?
- All entities classified as Micro, Small, and Medium enterprises as per the MSME classification are eligible to apply for MSME registration.
- An individual cannot apply for MSME registration.
- A proprietorship, partnership firm, company, trust, or society with an investment below Rs.50 crore and annual turnover below Rs 250 crore is eligible for MSME registration.
- The portal provides instructions for the registration process. No enterprise shall have more than one Udyam Registration.
- This portal is also integrated with the Central Board of Direct Tax (CBDT) and Goods and Services Tax (GST) networks.
What is the new definition of MSMEs?
- The Indian Government has modified the definition of MSMEs under the Aatmanirbhar Package announced in the year 2020 to increase the number of enterprises eligible for being classified as micro, small and medium enterprises. As per the new definition —
- An enterprise is classified as a “micro” enterprise when its investments do not exceed Rs. 1 crore while its annual turnovers remain below Rs. 5 crore.
- An enterprise is considered “small” when its investments range between Rs.1 crore to Rs.10 crore while its annual turnover ranges between 5 crore to Rs 50 crore.
- An enterprise is considered a “medium” when its investments range between Rs.10 crore to Rs 50 crore, while its annual turnover ranges between Rs. 50 crores to Rs 250 crores