Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IHBAS) has recently started the Central Government’s mental health scheme, Tele-Manas.
What is it?
- Tele Mental Health Assistance and Networking Across States (Tele-MANAS) initiative was launched on occasion of World Mental Health Day.
- Its objective is to provide free tele-mental health services all over the country round the clock, particularly catering to people in remote or under-served areas.
- It is an initiative of the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- NIMHANS is the nodal centre and International Institute of Information Technology-Bangalore (IIITB) providing technology support.
- Tele-MANAS will be organised in two tier system —
- Tier 1 comprises of state Tele-MANAS cells which include trained counsellors and mental health specialists.
- Tier 2 will comprise of specialists at District Mental Health Programme (DMHP)/Medical College resources for physical consultation and/or e-Sanjeevani for audio visual consultation.
- Presently there are 5 regional coordination centres along with 51 State/UT Tele MANAS cells.
E-Manas is the tele-counselling programme which was launched by the Karnataka government during the first wave of COVID-19 in association with NIMHANS to help people through the stress of the pandemic and lockdown.