The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has signed an MoU with Social Alpha to launch SpaceTech Innovation Network (SpIN).
What is ‘Social Alpha’?
- Social Alpha is a multistage innovation, curation and venture development platform for science and technology start-ups.
- It addresses the most critical social, economic, and environmental challenges through the power of entrepreneurship and market-creating innovations.
- Since its inception in 2016, Social Alpha has supported more 200 start-ups including 60+ seed investments.
What is ‘SpaceTech Innovation’?
- SpIN is India’s first dedicated platform for innovation, curation, and venture development for the burgeoning space entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- SpIN will primarily focus on facilitating space tech entrepreneurs in three distinct innovation categories —
- Geospatial Technologies and Downstream Applications;
- Enabling Technologies for Space & Mobility; and
- Aerospace Materials, Sensors, and Avionics.
Innovation Challenge launched by SpIN –
- In line with the partnership announcement, SpIN has launched its first innovation challenge.
- Early-stage start-ups for developing solutions in areas of maritime and land transportation, urbanisation, mapping and surveying, disaster management, food security, sustainable agriculture, environmental monitoring, and natural resources management, among others are encouraged to apply.
- The selected start-ups and innovators will be able to access both Social Alpha’s and ISRO’s infrastructure and resources.
- They will be provided active hand-holding in critical areas, including access to product design, testing and validation infrastructure, intellectual property management etc., among other technical and business inputs.