Recently, the President of India launched the `Pradhan Mantri TB Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan’.
About the ‘Pradhan Mantri TB Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan’ –
- Vision —
- It has been envisioned to bring together all community stakeholders to support those on TB treatment and accelerate the country’s progress towards TB elimination.
- This is aimed at working towards TB elimination from the country by 2025.
- Components of the scheme —
- The Ni-kshay Mitra initiative which forms a vital component of the `Abhiyaan’ is also launched along with the Abhiyaan.
- This portal provides a platform for donors to provide various forms of support to those undergoing TB treatment.
- The three-pronged support includes —
- Additional diagnostic, and
- Vocational support.
- Adoption Provision for Corporates and NGOs —
- Under the scheme, individuals, NGOs and corporates can adopt TB patients by committing support for 1-3 years.
- To join the initiative, they have to register on the site, which has an anonymous list of TB patients, categorised according to the primary health centres, blocks, districts and states.
- The sponsors can select the number of patients as per their capacity.
Stop TB Partnership Board –
- It was established in the year 2000.
- The aim is to eliminate Tuberculosis as a public health problem.
- The organisation was conceived following the meeting of the First Session of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Tuberculosis Epidemic held in London in March 1998.
- In 1998, through the Amsterdam Declaration, it gave a call for collaborative action from 20 countries that bear the highest burden of TB.
- It has 1500 partner organisation and its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare has been appointed Chairman of the Stop TB Partnership Board. The Minister will serve a three year term, commencing July 2021.