The Polavaram irrigation project across the Godavari in Andhra Pradesh has been receiving huge inflows of flood waters owing to heavy rain in Maharashtra in the past few days.
About the ‘Polavaram Project’ –
- The Polavaram Project is an under construction multi-purpose irrigation project on the Godavari River in the Eluru District and East Godavari District in Andhra Pradesh.
- The project has been accorded National project status by the Union Government of India.
- Its reservoir back water spreads up to the Dummugudem Anicut (i.e. approx 150 km back from Polavaram dam on main river side) and approx 115 km on Sabari River side.
- Thus back water spreads into parts of Chhattisgarh and Odisha States.
- It gives major boost to tourism sector in Godavari Districts as the reservoir covers the famous Papikonda National Park.