Pinaka Mk-I (Enhanced) Rocket System (EPRS) and Pinaka Area Denial Munition (ADM) rocket systems have been successfully flight-tested by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Army at Pokhran Firing Ranges.
- A total of 24 EPRS rockets were fired for different ranges. Required accuracy and consistency was achieved by the rockets meeting all trial objectives satisfactorily.
- With these trails, the initial phase of technology absorption of EPRS by the industry has successfully been completed and the industry partners are ready for user trials/series production of the rocket system.
- The EPRS is the upgraded version of Pinaka variant which has been in service with the Indian Army for the last decade.
About Pinaka Missile System –
- Pinaka is an indigenous multi-barrel rocket launch system, which has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Army.
- The enhanced version of the rocket system has been developed jointly by Pune based Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) with manufacturing support from M/s Economic Explosives Limited, Nagpur. The development of Enhanced Pinaka system was taken up to achieve longer range performance.
- Its weapon system has a state-of-the-art guidance kit bolstered by an advanced navigation and control system. The Pinaka Mark II Rocket is modified as a missile by integrating with the navigation, control and guidance system to improve the accuracy and enhance the range. The navigation system of the missile is aided by the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).