Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently shared the first satellite images of Gujarat and Arabian Sea sent by the newly launched Oceansat-3 satellite from space.
About Oceansat-3 –
- ISRO’s PSLV-C54 rocket launched the Oceansat-3 along with eight nano satellites, including the Bhutan-SAT, from Sriharikota.
- Oceansat-3 is the third in its set of ocean satellites that are part of India’s ocean observation programme.
- It is a multi-sensor observation satellite, which is expected to operate till 2027.
- The Oceansat-3 is envisaged to observe ocean colour data, sea surface temperature (SST) and wind vector data to use in oceanography, climatic and meteorological applications. It also supports value-added products such as potential fishing zones.
- Oceansat-3, in tandem with Oceansat-2, will improve the receptivity of ocean colour measurements to every 24 hour and wind vector measurements to every 12 hour and help predict cyclones better.