Prime Minister Narendra Modi has greeted the people on the auspicious occasion of Nuakhai Juhar.
What is ‘Nuakhai Juhar’?
- It an important social festival of Western Odisha and adjoining areas of Simdega in Jharkhand.
- It is an agricultural festival which is observed to welcome the new rice of the season. The word nua means new and khai means food.
- It is observed on the fifth day of the lunar fortnight of the month of Bhadrapada or Bhaadra (August–September), the day after the Ganesh Chaturthi festival.
- Nuakhai is understood to have nine colours and as a consequence nine sets of rituals are followed as a prelude to the actual day of celebration.
- People offer the newly harvested crop called Nabanha to their respective presiding deities. After offering the Nabanha, people relish different types of delicacies prepared from the newly harvested crop.