NTPC Ltd, India’s largest integrated energy producer has issued renewed Biodiversity Policy 2022 to establish a comprehensive vision and guiding principle for conservation, restoration, and enhancement of biodiversity.
- This Biodiversity Policy is an integral part of NTPC’s Environmental Policy.
- NTPC was the first PSU to issue Biodiversity Policy in 2018. In the same year, NTPC became a member of the India Business & Biodiversity Initiative (IBBI).
- The power major aims to mainstream the concept of biodiversity across NTPC’s value chain.
- The company will further strengthen its current efforts to achieve a ’no net loss’ of biodiversity at all of its currently operating sites.
- NTPC has also signed a five-year agreement with Andhra Pradesh Forest Department for conservation of Olive Ridley Turtles in the coastline of Andhra Pradesh.
About the India Business and Biodiversity Initiative –
- The India Business & Biodiversity Initiative (IBBI) serves as a national platform of business and its stakeholders for dialogue sharing and learning, ultimately leading to mainstreaming sustainable management of biological diversity into businesses.
- IBBI’s vision is to sensitise, guide and mentor Indian business organisations in biodiversity conservation and sustainable use related to their operations, across their value chain and beyond towards conservation of India’s biodiversity.
- On the invitation by the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change (MoEFCC), Government of India, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) had launched the India Business & Biodiversity Initiative (IBBI) with the support of the German International Cooperation (GIZ) on 22 May, 2014 which is celebrated as ”The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB)” by the United Nations.
About ‘National Thermal Power Corporation’ –
- NTPC Ltd. is a central Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Ministry of Power.
- It is India’s largest energy conglomerate with roots planted way back in 1975 to accelerate power development in India.
- Aim – To provide reliable power and related solutions in an economical, efficient and environment-friendly manner, driven by innovation and agility.
- It became a Maharatna company in May 2010.
- It is located in New Delhi.