Union Minister of State for Science and Technology has said that North Eastern Space Applications Centre (NESAC), Shillong will execute 110 projects in Eight North Eastern States by 2024.
These projects are in the domains of Agriculture, Water Resources, Forestry & Ecology, Planning & Development, UAV Remote Sensing and Disaster Management Support, with joint funding from Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Department of Space and State Governments.
Achievements of NESAC –
- NESAC has developed and achieved following major milestones for the North Eastern Region including —
- Implementation of North Eastern Spatial Data Repository (NeSDR)
- Identification of potential areas for development of sericulture & horticulture,
- Remote Sensing based forest working plans & river atlas,
- Geospatial system for monitoring MoDONER sponsored projects & survey of Record of Forest Rights (RoFR),
- Flood Early Warning System (FLEWS) for Assam, and
- Training & capacity building, including for professionals from BIMSTEC region
- Satellite imaging-based inputs to support settling of border disputes between North Eastern States undertaken as per suggestion of MHA.
About the North Eastern Space Applications Centre (NESAC) –
- Established in 2000, jointly with North Eastern Council (NEC), NESAC is as an autonomous institution under Department of Space (DOS) to provide space technology inputs and services for the development of the North Eastern Region.
- NESAC is engaged in executing remote sensing application projects for natural resources management & infrastructure development, satellite communication-based applications in education; health & disaster management support, and training & capacity building in space technology & applications.