Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports recently announced National Sports Awards 2022.
- India’s Table Tennis star Achanta Sharath Kamal has been conferred with the Major Dhyanchand Khel Ratna Award for 2022.
- Seema Punia and Lakshya Sen were amongst the Arjuna Award winners for this year.
- Eldhose Paul, Avinash Mukund Sable, and Nikhat Zareen were also conferred with Arjuna Awards.
- The Dronacharya Award for outstanding coaches in Sports and Games Regular category went to Jiwanjot Singh Teja (Archery), Mohammad Ali Qamar (Boxing), Suma Siddharth Shirur (Para Shooting) and Sujeet Maan (Wrestling).
Awards presented –
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna — It is the highest sporting honour of India. It was instituted in 1991–92. The recipient(s) is/are honoured for their outstanding performance in the field of sports over a period of four years at international level.
- Dronacharya Awards — It was instituted in 1985 to honour eminent Coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious International sports events.
- Arjuna awards — It was instituted in 1961. To be eligible for the Award, a sportsperson should have had not only good performance over the previous four years at the International level but also should have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline.
- Dhyan Chand Award — It was instituted in 2002. It is an award for life-time achievements in sports.
- Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award — It is the highest national recognition for outstanding achievements in the field of adventure on land, sea and air.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy — It was instituted in 1956-57 to honour the top overall performing university in the Inter-University Tournaments.
- Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Purushkar — It was instituted from 2009 to recognise the corporate entities (both in private and public sector) and individuals who have played a visible role in the area of sports promotion and development.