According to the Ministry of Education’s National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2022, IIT Madras is once again the country’s top higher educational institute. It is followed by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, and IIT Bombay.
- IIT-Madras topped the rankings in the overall category and continued to be featured as the country’s best engineering institution, a position it has consecutively bagged since the rankings were introduced in 2016.
- IIT-Madras also featured among the top 10 in research (second) and management (tenth).
- IIT-Madras was recognised as an Institution of Eminence (IoE) in 2019 by the Government of India.
- ‘Miranda House’ too retained its pole position in the college category, which it has maintained since the category’s introduction in 2017.
- IISc, Bengaluru, topped in the university and research categories.
- From next year, NIRF ranking categories will integrate –
- Institutional accreditation which at present is done by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) and programme accreditation by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).
- Ranking on innovation and entrepreneurship done earlier by the All-India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
About the NIRF –
- The NIRF was launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD now Ministry of Education) in 2015 (first edition came in 2016).
- Prior to the advent of NIRF, higher education institutions (HEIs) were often ranked by private entities, particularly news magazines.
- This framework, which is the first-ever effort by the Government of India, outlines a methodology to rank HEIs across the country.
- While participation in the NIRF was initially voluntary, it became mandatory in 2018 for all government-run educational institutions.
- Parameters — Teaching, learning and resources, research and professional practices, graduation outcomes, outreach and inclusivity and perception.
- Categories — NIRF ranks best institutions across 11 categories – overall national ranking, universities, engineering, college, medical, management, pharmacy, law, architecture, dental and research.