Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying recently announced the National Gopal Ratna Awards 2022.
About ‘Gopal Ratna Awards’ –
- Gopal Ratna Award – one of the highest National Awards in the field of livestock and dairy sector, with an objective to encourage all individuals and Dairy cooperative societies / Milk Producer Company / Dairy farmers Producers Organisations working in this sector, are conferred in three categories, namely,
- Best Dairy Farmer Rearing Indigenous Cattle/buffalo Breeds,
- Best Artificial Insemination Technician (AIT) and
- Best Dairy Cooperative/ Milk Producer Company/ Dairy Farmer Producer Organization).
About the ‘Rashtriya Gokul Mission’ –
- The RGM has been launched by the Government for conservation and development of indigenous breeds in a focused and scientific manner.
- The mission envisages establishment of integrated cattle development centres – Gokul Grams to develop indigenous breeds including upto 40% nondescript breeds.
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission is a focussed project under National Programme for Bovine Breeding and Dairy Development.
- Objectives —
- Development and conservation of indigenous breeds;
- Breed improvement programme for indigenous cattle breeds to improve their genetic makeup and increase the stock; Enhancement of milk production and productivity;
- Upgradation of nondescript cattle using elite indigenous breeds like Gir, Sahiwal, Rathi, Deoni, Tharparkar, Red Sindhi and Distribution of disease free high genetic merit bulls for natural service.
- Implementing Agency —
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission is being implemented through “State Implementing Agencies (SIA)” viz Livestock Development Boards.
- All Agencies having a role in indigenous cattle development are “Participating Agencies” like CFSPTI, CCBFs, ICAR, Universities, Colleges, NGO‟s, Cooperative Societies.