President of India recently presented National Florence Nightingale Awards 2021.
- The National Florence Nightingale Awards were instituted in the year 1973 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare as a mark of recognition for the meritorious services rendered by nurses and nursing professionals to society.
- The award is given to outstanding Nursing personnel employed in central, State/UTs, Private, Missionary and Voluntary Organisations.
About ‘Florence Nightingale’ –
- Florence Nightingale was an English social reformer, statistician and the founder of modern nursing.
- Nightingale came to prominence while serving as a manager and trainer of nurses during the Crimean War, in which she organised care for wounded soldiers at Constantinople.
- Her efforts to formalise nursing education led her to establish the first scientifically based nursing school—the Nightingale School of Nursing, at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London.
- International Nurses Day (IND) is an international day observed around the world on 12th May (the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth) of each year, to mark the contribution that nurses make to society.