Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently inaugurated the first phase of the international airport at Mopa in north Goa.
About the airport –
- The airport is named after late Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
- The airport which was built at cost of ₹2,870 crore will begin its operations from 5 January, 2023.
- The foundation stone of the airport was laid by the Prime Minister in November 2016.
- This will be the second airport in the state after the Dabolim airport in South Goa.
- The airport will have the capacity to handle 44 lakh passengers a year in the first phase and it will go up to one crore passengers a year after the entire project is complete.
- The airport has been built on the theme of sustainable infrastructure and has solar power plant, green buildings, LED lights on the runway, besides rainwater harvesting, state of the art sewage treatment plant with recycling facilities, among other such facilities.
- It has adopted some of the best-in-class technologies like 3-D Monolithic Precast buildings, StabilRoad, Robomatic Hollow precast walls, 5G compatible IT infrastructure.