Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has issued guidelines for Mission Shakti Scheme.
What is it?
- This scheme has been launched for the safety, security and empowerment of women.
- It seeks to realise the government’s commitment to women-led development by making them equal partners in nation-building.
- The key objectives of the mission are to provide care, support and assistance to women and to put in place quality mechanisms for the rescue, protection and rehabilitation of women who are victims of crime and violence.
- The scheme is also aimed at improving accessibility to various government services available for women at various levels.
What are its components?
- Mission Shakti has two sub-schemes – Sambal and Samarthya.
- While the Sambal stresses on safety and security of women, the Samarthya focuses on the empowerment of women.
- The components of the Sambal sub-scheme consist of schemes including One Stop Centre, Women Helpline, Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao and Nari Adalats.
- The components of the Samarthya sub-scheme consist of schemes of Ujjwala, Swadhar Greh and Working Women Hostel.
- In addition, the existing schemes of the National Creche Scheme for children of working mothers and Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana have now been included in Samarthya.