India is currently hosting the multilateral anti-terror exercise ‘Manesar Anti-terror 2022’.
What is it?
- It is under the framework of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS).
- It is stage 2 of the exercise and the Stage-1 of the Exercise was conducted from July 27 to August 1 by the National Counter Terrorist Forces of SCO Member Countries in their respective territories.
- The exercise is aimed at exchanging expertise, best practices and build synergy between the Counter Terrorism Forces of the SCO RATS Member Countries to enhance capabilities for conducting Anti-Terrorist operations and countering other security threats collectively.
About the Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) –
- Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) one of the permanent organs of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and has its headquarters in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- The objective of SCO RATS is to facilitate cooperation and coordination against Terrorism, Extremism and Separatism.
- India assumed the chairmanship of the Council of SCO RATS in October 2021.
- Joint Anti-Terror Exercise (JATE) is an annual Counter Terrorist Exercise held within the framework of the SCO RATS.