The drug, lecanemab was recently tested on patients with early Alzheimer.
- Lecanemab, is jointly developed by pharma companies Biogen and Eisai.
- Lecanemab belongs to a class of drugs called monoclonal antibodies. These antibody-mediated drugs target beta amyloid, the protein deposition that is seen in patients with Alzheimer’s disease, and disrupts cells function.
Alzheimer’s disease –
- It is a progressive neurologic disorder that causes the brain to shrink (atrophy) and brain cells to die.
- It involves parts of the brain that control thought, memory, and language.
- It can seriously affect a person’s ability to carry out daily activities.
- India’s scenario — In India, only 1 in 10 people with dementia receive any diagnosis, treatment or care for the disease, according to the World Alzheimer’s Report, 2021.