Union Cabinet has approved signing of Contract between the Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), India and France to support the International Transport Forum (ITF) activities on the Indian Transport Sector.
- The contract was signed on 6th July, 2022.
- The activities to be carried out under this Contract will lead to —
- New scientific results;
- New policy insights;
- Capacity building through increase scientific interaction; and
- Identification of technology options for decarbonisation of transport sector in India.
About TIFAC –
TIFAC is an autonomous organisation set up in 1988 under the Department of Science & Technology to look ahead in the technology domain, assess the technology trajectories, and support innovation by networked actions in select areas of national importance.
About ‘International Transport Forum’ –
- It was created in 2006 by ministers from 43 countries.
- It is an intergovernmental organisation within the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) with 60 member countries.
- It acts as a think tank for transport policy and organises the Annual Summit of transport ministers.
- ITF is the only global body that covers all transport modes.
- The ITF is administratively integrated with the OECD, yet politically autonomous.
- It is headquartered in Paris, France.