The National Institute of Urban Affairs’ (NIUA) Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube), World Resources Institute India (WRI India) and their partners have launched India’s first national coalition platform for urban nature-based solutions (NbS) at the 11th World Urban Forum in Poland.
- The India Forum for Nature-based Solutions aims to create a collective of NbS entrepreneurs, government entities and like-minded organisations, to help scale urban nature-based solutions by
- Defining a shared language and by communicating benefits that inform actions at the local level including scaling up of existing NbS interventions.
- Driving investment and strengthening delivery mechanisms through multi-stakeholder coordination.
- Mainstreaming urban ecosystem-based services and nature-based solutions in India through informing policy, plans and project interventions.
- ’India Forum for Nature-based Solutions’ is led by the National Institute of Urban Affairs’ Climate Centre for Cities (NIUA C-Cube) and anchored by World Resources Institute India (WRI India) under the Cities4Forests initiative.
- It is supported by Caterpillar Foundation, Department of Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Govt. of United Kingdom and Norway’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI).
About the NIUA –
- NIUA is an institute for research, training and information dissemination in urban development and management.
- It is located in New Delhi, India.
- It was established in 1976 as an autonomous body under the Societies Registration Act.
- The Institute is supported by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, State Governments, urban and regional development authorities and other agencies concerned with urban issues.
About the ‘World Resources Institute’ –
- WRI is a global research organisation that spans more than 50 countries and focuses on six critical issues at the intersection of environment and development: climate, energy, food, forests, water, and cities and transport.
- It was established in 1982.
- It is headquartered in Washington, US.