The government has finalised — “Incredible India! Visit India Year 2023” — as its campaign tagline to revive international tourism post-COVID. Due to G20 Presidency and other events, India is likely to see as many international arrivals in 2023 as it had in pre-COVID 2019 at 1.7 crore.
What is the ‘Incredible India’ campaign?
- It is an international marketing campaign to promote tourism in India. It was launched as a Government of India initiative in the year 2002.
- The campaign was conceptualised in 2002 by V Sunil (while he was Creative Director, O&M Delhi), and Amitabh Kant, who was the then Joint Secretary in Ministry of Tourism.
- Objectives —
- To promote India as the desirable destination among international travellers from the United States, Europe and Asia Pacific.
- To build on the existing Incredible India campaign.
- To attract more visitors to India.
- To reach out to travellers in a cost-effective way.
- The campaign undertook such a marketing strategy that not only comprised of the traditional marketing media mix but also integrated online marketing.
Tourism in India –
- In the past 75 years, India has become synonymous with tourism, spirituality, transformation, culture and diversity.
- Tourism sector generated Rs 16.91 lakh crore (USD 240 billion) or 9.2% of India’s GDP in 2018.
- It supported around 42.67 million jobs or 8.1% of total employment during that period.
- Out of the 1.7 crore international inbound in 2019, about 1.1 crore were foreign tourists.
- However, starting March 2020, international travel took an unprecedented hit with COVID. As a result, 2020 saw 27 lakh foreign tourists. In 2021, the number was at 15 lakh.
- Since July 2020, Indian travel industry has been surviving primarily on domestic tourists.
- According to the India Tourism Statistics 2022, the arrival of NRIs had increased by 52.6% in 2021 compared to 2020.