Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi is India’s Chief Guest for Republic Day 2023 celebrations.
About ‘Egypt’ –
- Location — Egypt is a transcontinental country situated in northeastern Africa and the Sinai Peninsula in Western Asia (Middle East).
- Capital — Cairo
- Boundaries —
- The country borders the Mediterranean Sea to the north and the Gulf of Suez and the Red Sea to the east.
- It is bordered by Libya in the west, the Palestinian territory (Gaza Strip) and Israel in the northeast, and Sudan in the south.
- It shares maritime borders with Cyprus, Turkey and Greece in the Mediterranean Sea, and with Jordan and Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea.
- Independence — Modern Egypt became independent in 1922.
- Population — With 12 million inhabitants (2021), Egypt is the most populous country in the Arab world.
- Language — Spoken language is Modern Standard Arabic; the colloquial language is the Egyptian-Arabic dialect (Masri).
- Islam is the dominant religion in Egypt with an estimated 85-90% of the population is Sunni Muslim.
- Major rivers — The famous River Nile is the only river that flows in Egypt throughout the year. Around 98% of the country’s population resides in the Nile River Valley.
About the ‘Suez Canal’ –
- It is a 30 km (120 miles)-long artificial sea-level waterway located in Egypt.
- It connects the Mediterranean Sea with the Gulf of Suez, a northern branch of the Red Sea.
- It provides the shortest maritime route between Europe and the lands lying around the Indian and western Pacific oceans.
- It is one of the world’s most heavily used shipping lanes.
What is Exercise Cyclone-I?
- It is the first ever joint exercise between the special forces of the Indian Army and the Egyptian Army.
- Location — Jaisalmer in Rajasthan