Electronic-Passports will be rolled out by the end of this year or early next year.
- Secretary of External Affairs Ministry has said that an e-chip and a few more features will be added to the passport book which will provide security upgradation of the Indian passport and enable machine reading.
- Stating that the interests of diaspora are important, the secretary said several steps are being taken to facilitate Indian citizens who are migrating to work in other countries and providing legal support.
- He said 87 billion dollars have been remitted to India by diaspora last year, compared to the 83 billion dollars in the previous year.
- He said maximum number of Immigration clearances are being given in Telangana.
- Referring to immigration processes, he said 15 more countries have been identified for singing Migration and Mobility Agreements while the agreement with 12 countries is currently in force.