The Tribal Affairs Ministry intends to go ahead with its plan to build new Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS) on 15 acres of land in all sub-districts which have Scheduled Tribe communities of more than 20,000 people, who make up at least 50% of their total population, despite a Parliamentary panel saying that this criteria is “impractical”.
About the ‘Eklavya Model Residential Schools’ –
- Implementing ministry — Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Background — The scheme of EMRSs was introduced in the year 1997-98 to ensure tribal students get access to quality education in the remote tribal areas.
- Features —
- The schools would focus to provide quality upper primary, secondary and senior secondary level education to ST Students in these areas.
- Apart from school building including hostels and staff quarters, provision for a playground, students’ computer lab, teacher resource room etc. are also included in the EMRSs.
- Revamp of scheme — In 2018, Union Cabinet revamped the scheme with following features.
- EMRSs will be setup in every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal persons.
- There will be an Autonomous Society under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs similar to Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti to run the EMRSs.