India participated at the 6th East Asia Summit Education Minister’s Meeting held recently in Hanoi, Vietnam.
About the East Asia Summit –
- The East Asia Summit (EAS) is the Indo-Pacific’s premier forum for strategic dialogue.
- It was established in 2005.
- The EAS has 18 members —
- The ten ASEAN countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam) along with Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Russia and the United States.
- The EAS membership represents around 54% of the world’s population and accounts for 58% of global GDP.
- Six priority areas of regional cooperation within the framework of the EAS —
- Environment and Energy,
- Global Health Issues and Pandemic Diseases,
- Natural Disaster Management, and
- ASEAN Connectivity