Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister has recently said that India will soon launch E-20 fuel with 20% blending of ethanol.
About E-20 Fuel –
- The E20 fuel is a twenty percent blend of Ethanol and eighty percent of fossil based fuel.
- The introduction of E20 fuel has the motive of reducing the reliance on fossil based fuels for building a more sustainable society for the future and to reduce vehicular emissions.
- It is expected to reduce air pollution, being lesser polluting than petrol.
- The government foresees oil import savings to the tune of Rs. 30,000 crores annually.
What is Ethanol fuel?
- Ethanol fuel is ethyl alcohol, the same type of alcohol found in alcoholic drinks.
- It is most commonly utilised as a motor fuel, primarily as a biofuel addition in gasoline.
- Biomass is commonly utilised for making ethanol, such as corn or sugarcane.
- India’s abundance of sugarcane production is pivotal to the push towards ethanol based fuel.
Flex engines –
- Flex engines are those that can run at any ratio of ethanol blending from E20 to E100.
- These types of engines and cars are not new.
- The Fiat 147, launched in 1978 in Brazil, was the first production car to run solely on ethanol.