The Smart Cities Mission recently won the Platinum Icon in the Digital India Awards 2022 for their initiative “Data Smart Cities: Empowering Cities through Data”.
About Digital India Awards 2022 –
- The Smart Cities Mission won the award under the ‘Data Sharing and Use for Socio-Economic Development’ category.
- This category ‘emphasises on sharing of Government Data by Ministries/Departments/Organisations, States, Cities and ULBs to create a vibrant data for analysis, decision-making, innovation etc.
- The initiative is a key step in creating a robust data ecosystem that enables evidence-based decision-making in cities.
- The Digital India Awards (DIA) is a prestigious National competition that seeks to encourage and honour innovative digital solutions by government entities in realising the Digital India vision.
- These are conducted by the National Informatics Centre (NIC) under the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY).
What is the ‘Data Smart Cities’ Initiative?
- Aim — To harness the power of data for better governance in India’s 100 Smart Cities.
- It is based on a ‘People, Platform, Process’ strategy, which is helping in the convergence of the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs’ efforts for performance management, empowerment of communities, and research, co-creation & open innovation.
- The program has institutionalised a Data Ecosystem in cities through 100 City Data Offices and more than 50 Data Policies.