Prime Minister Narendra Modi has wished people on the occasion of Dhamma Chakra Day and Guru Purnima.
About Dharma Chakra Day –
- Ashadha Purnima falls on the first full moon day of the month of Ashadha as per Indian Sun calendar.
- This day commemorates Buddha’s First Sermon to his first five ascetic disciples at the Deer Park, Rsipatana in the present day Sarnath near Varanasi, UP.
- The day is also celebrated by Buddhists all over the world as the day of Dharma Chakra Parvattana or “Turning of the Wheel of Dharma”.
- This day is also aptly observed as Guru Poornima by both Buddhists and Hindus as a day to mark reverence to their Gurus.
About Guru Poornima –
- According to the Hindu calendar, Guru Purnima generally falls on a full-moon day in the Hindu month of Ashadh.
- It is dedicated to Maharshi Veda Vyasa, the sage who is believed to have edited the sacred Hindu text, the Vedas and created the 18 Puranas, Mahabharata and the Srimad Bhagavatam.
- For Buddhists, the festival marks the first sermon of Lord Buddha, which is said to have been delivered at Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh, on this very day.
- It is also believed to mark the onset of monsoons.