Recently, the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) approved Odisha’s Proposal to declare Debrigarh a Tiger Reserve.
About the ‘Debrigarh Tiger Reserve’ –
- Located near the Hirakud dam at Sambalpur, spread over an area of 347 sq km Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the famous tourist destinations of western Odisha.
- It will become the third tiger reserve in Odisha after Similipal and Satkosia.
- It was declared as a wildlife sanctuary in 1985 and situated in the Bargarh district of Odisha near Hirakud dam (Mahanadi River).
- It finds a special mention because of noted freedom fighter veer Surendra sai. During his rebellion against the British Veer Surendra Saimade his base at ‘Barapathara” located within the sanctuary.
- Fauna — A wide varieties of animals including leopard, wild boar, bison, sambar, chital and Four-horned antelope are sighted in the sanctuary.