Legendary actress Asha Parekh will be honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2020.
About ‘Dadasaheb Phalke Award’ –
- Dadasaheb Phalke (1870–1944), was an Indian film-maker who directed India’s first full-length feature film, Raja Harishchandra (1913). He is regarded as “the father of Indian cinema.”
- Dadasaheb Phalke award is India’s highest award in cinema.
- It is presented annually at the National Film Awards ceremony by the Directorate of Film Festivals (an organisation set up by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting).
- The award prize consists of a golden lotus, a cash prize of ₹10 lakh and a shawl.
- The award is given to people for their “outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema”.
- It was first presented in 1969. The first recipient of the award was actress Devika Rani, “the first lady of Indian cinema.”