Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has released the Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP)- 2020 in New Delhi.
- In the report, seven states have been identified as the top achievers based on implementation of the Business Reforms Action Plan. The states are Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Punjab, Telangana and Tamil Nadu.
- The report further mentioned that Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh figure under the Achievers category. While Assam, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jharkhand, Kerala, Rajasthan and West Bengal have been placed in the Aspirers category.
- Andaman and Nicobar, Bihar, Chandigarh, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Puducherry and Tripura have been clubbed under the Emerging Business Ecosystems category.
What is ‘Business Reform Action Plan’?
- The Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) for implementation by States/UTs was released for the first time in 2015.
- It is released by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry in partnership with the World Bank Group.
- The BRAP includes recommendations for reforms on regulatory processes across various reform areas such as labour regulation enablers; contract enforcement; registering property; inspection reform enablers; single window system etc.
- For each State/UT, the scores will be aggregated over all the surveys conducted to yield an overall score for the State/UT. The feedback scores will be used to generate a ranking of States/UTs in terms of reform implementation.