Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI) has issued the tender for setting up 500 MW/1000 MWh Standalone Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) in India.
- This is the joint effort of both Ministry of New and renewable energy and Ministry of Power who have been working on this to provide a road map for the installation of the energy storage system in the country.
- In October 2021, the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI), a CPSU under Ministry of New and renewable energy, had called for the expression of interest for procurement of 1000 MWh BESS.
What is the project?
- A first-of-its-kind tender in the country, it will provide Discoms with storage facilities to be used on an “on-demand” basis.
- The total capacity to be set up under the RfS is 1000 MWh (500 MW x 2hrs), which will constitute two projects of 500 MWh (250 MW x 2 hrs) capacity each.
- The Projects will be installed in the vicinity of the Fatehgarh-III Grid-Substation of the ISTS network in Rajasthan.
- The Buying Entities will be offered the storage capacity to charge and discharge the same daily through RE power, as per their energy shifting requirements.
- The Projects will be set up on a “Build-Own-Operate” basis, with the connectivity and necessary permissions being under the scope of the Project Developer.
- India plans to use renewable energy along with the energy storage system.
- Energy storage system as grid element will maximise the use of transmission system and strengthening grid stability and also to save investment in the augmentation of transmission infrastructure.
- Storage will be an asset for balancing services and flexible operation. The system operator i.e. load dispatchers (RLDCs and SLDCs) may use storage system for frequency control and balancing services to manage the inherent uncertainty/variations in the load due to un-generation.
- Storage for distribution system may be placed at the load centre to manage its peak load and other obligations.
- It also enhances our merchant capacity as the energy storage system developer and sell the same in the power market.