Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit France on 14th of July to attend this year’s Bastille Day Parade as Guest of Honour in Paris.
What is France’s Bastille Day parade?
- July 14 is marked as France’s National Day.
- One of the revolutionary days in Paris and now a national holiday, the July 14 (“Bastille Day”) is celebrated with a mixture of solemn military parades and easygoing dancing and fireworks.
- The storming of the Bastille on July 14, 1789 has been commemorated in France for more than a century.
- Every Bastille Day, Paris’ famous avenue des Champs-Elysées hosts a military parade – similar to India’s Republic Day parade on Kartavya Path.
- French heads of state have been the Republic Day guests of honour five times since 1951.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the 2nd Indian PM to be the guest of honour at Bastille Day, after Manmohan Singh in 2009.