Nature enthusiasts have voiced their concern over the recent decline in the number of migratory birds visiting the Ballavpur Wildlife Sanctuary.
About the sanctuary –
- It was established in 1977.
- It is also known as Deer Park.
- Location — It is located near Santiniketan in Bolpur subdivision of Birbhum District of West Bengal.
- Area — 200 hectares
- Elevation — It has an average elevation of 56 meters.
- Flora — The sanctuary has dense local vegetation of Sal, Akashmoni, Sishoo, Cashewnut, Amlaki, Bahera and Haritaki.
- Fauna — The sanctuary has a deer conservation park which is home to a large number of deer including Cheethals (Spotted Deer) and the Blackbucks. Other animals include jackals, foxes and a variety of water birds.
- It is home to three large lakes which hosts a large number of migratory birds every year.