Dinesh Kumar Shukla, former Executive Director of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) & Distinguished Scientist assumed the charge as Chairman, AERB on 31st December 2022. He has been appointed on this post for a period of three years.
About the ‘Atomic Energy Regulatory Board’ –
- It was established in November 1983 to carry out certain regulatory and safety functions in the field of nuclear and radiation safety on a countrywide basis.
- It was constituted by President of India by exercising powers conferred by Section 27 of Atomic Energy Act, 1962 to carry out certain regulatory and safety functions under the Act.
- The regulatory authority of AERB is derived from rules and notifications promulgated under Atomic Energy Act, 1962 and Environmental (Protection) Act, 1986.
- It is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Its mission is to ensure that use of ionising radiation and nuclear energy in India does not cause undue risk to health and environment.
- Currently, it consists of full-time Chairman, an ex officio Member, three part-time Members and Secretary.