Late Hollywood actress and fashion icon Anna May Wong (1905-1961) is set to become the first Asian American to feature on US currency.
Who is she?
- Her birth name was Wong Liu-Tsong.
- She was born to second-generation Chinese immigrants in Los Angeles, Wong started her film career at the age of 14 as an extra in The Red Lantern (1919).
- She gained critical acclaim only three years later when she played the leading role in The Toll of the Sea (1922), one of the first Technicolour films.
- She was also the first Asian American leading actor in a television show, The Gallery of Madame Liu-Tsong (1951).
About the American Women Quarters Program –
- The American Women Quarters Program is a four-year program that celebrates the accomplishments and contributions made by women to the development and history of U.S.A.
- Beginning in 2022, and continuing through 2025, the U.S. Mint will issue up to five new reverse designs each year.
- The American Women Quarters may feature contributions from a variety of fields, suffrage, civil rights, abolition, government, humanities, science, space, and the arts. The women honoured will be from ethnically, racially, and geographically diverse backgrounds.