The first C295 for India has successfully completed its maiden flight, marking a significant milestone towards its delivery by the second half of 2023.
About Airbus C295 –
- It is a new-generation tactical airlifter in the light and medium segment.
- It was designed and built by Airbus, a European multinational aerospace corporation.
- It is robust and reliable but also highly versatile in terms of the number of different missions it can perform.
- The C295 conducts multi-role operations worldwide under all weather conditions.
- Types of Missions —
- It is known to be a superior aircraft used for tactical transport of up to 71 troops or 50 paratroopers.
- Air-to-Air refuelling — It can be converted into an air tanker that can deliver up to 6,000 kg of gasoline to fixed and rotary wing receivers by adding a detachable refuelling kit.
- Airborne Early Warning (AEW) — It has a cutting-edge radar with 360-degree coverage to give a complete picture of the airspace in its Airborne Early Warning variant.
- Water-Bomber — It can be transformed into a powerful water bomber that can put out forest fires with up to 7,000 litres of water due to a flexible roll-on/roll-off system.
- Armed/Ground ISR (Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance) — A close-air-support operation that uses an ISR with a multi-mission radar that can also be weaponised.
- The aircraft can be utilised for casualty or medical evacuation as well as airdropping loads and paratroopers.
- It is equipped to handle special missions, disaster relief operations, and maritime patrol responsibilities.