Operation Clean Money | PIB Summary
Operation Clean Money Will enable citizen engagement for creating a tax compliant society and transparent tax administration.
- Operation Clean Money Phase I: 18 lakh persons identified; More than 9.72 lakh taxpayers submitted online responses for 13.33 lakh accounts involving cash deposits of around Rs 2.89 lakh crore.
- 68 lakh new cases identified for the e-verification process.
The Union Minister of Finance, Shri ArunJaitley, officially launched the Portal of Operation Clean Money (Click Here to read more) in New Delhi today.
About Operation Clean Money
- The Operation Clean Money was initiated by the Income Tax Department (ITD) on the 31st January 2017 with the launch of e-verification of large cash deposits made during 9th November to 30th December 2016.
- In the first phase, around 18 lakh persons were identified in whose case, cash transactions did not appear in line with the tax payer’s profile. There has been an encouraging response to the online verification process and more than 9.72 lakh taxpayers submitted their response without visiting Income tax office up to 12th May 2017. These taxpayers have provided a response for 13.33 lakh accounts involving cash deposits of around Rs. 2.89 lakh crore.
- The online responses have been assessed and no further action will be taken in cases of satisfactory explanation.
- Providing comprehensive information at one place consisting of Step by Step Guides, Frequently Asked Questions, User Guides, Quick Reference Guides and Training Toolkits related to the verification process and other issues.
- Enabling Citizen Engagement for creating a tax compliant society where every Indian takes pride in paying taxes. Citizens would be able to support the Operation Clean Money by taking the pledge, contribute by engaging and educating fellow citizens, and share their experiences and provide feedback.
- Enabling Transparent Tax Administration by sharing status reports (including sanitized cases and explanation of verification issues) and thematic analysis reports (e.g. taxpayer segment analysis of cash deposit data).
- The ITD on-boarded two specialized data analytics agencies and a business process management agency to augment departmental capability in analyzing large volumes of cash deposit data, track the compliance status of taxpayers and reporting entities.
Phase II of Operation Clean Money
In Phase II of Operation Clean Money, the high-risk cases will be handled by selecting appropriate enforcement action (verification, search, survey, scrutiny). A targeted campaign will be initiated in cases with identified risk issues.
The key components of the targeted campaign are
- Communication of specific issue through digital channels (Email, SMS etc.)
- Providing detailed explanation to create environment of transparency
- Sharing investigation findings for specific segments (e.g. Jewellers, petrol pump, traders, property purchasers etc.)
- Centralized monitoring and gradual escalation of inadequate response cases for enforcement action.